Advanced GSM Meter Reading and Billing System using 8051 is the technology of automatically collecting data from energy meter and transferring that data to a central database for billing and/or analyzing. It checks energy meter reading and transferring that data to a administrator mobile number using GSM modem via message. The Transmitter circuit is connected to the meter which counts the pulses from it and displays it over the LCD display. The transmitter circuit containing a GSM modem for data transforming. The project is having the facility of sending the current meter reading of the customer of each day to the particular number through SMS from the server side which maintains the database for meter reading.
An additional advanced service is also available, which includes the software operating on the computer. This software shows the updated reading. User has to put the unit rate and date of billing, and then this software automatically calculates the bill on that particular billing date and also print it if printer is connected to computer.
Advantages and Future Scope:
- GSM based Automatic meter reading system designed reduces the efforts of manual data collection of energy meter.
- The data which is received at service provider side is easy to manipulate for bill generation and other such tasks.
- With this system we can collect the reading as well as control the supply to the user.
- With addition of software at service provider side, the customer can be informed of current meter reading, bill for current cycle, status of the line and other parameters to the customer with either message or a phone call.
- With this system the service provider can collect the bill any time.
- The data collection and manipulation task becomes fast and easier.
- Any modification can be made to the code in less time.
- Changes in rate or unit calculation can be done very effectively.